Skip Navigation
Open water faucet against a blue sky.

Connect to municipal water

Well Conversion Grant Program

The Southern Nevada Water Authority Well Conversion Grant Program was established through recommendations from the Advisory Committee for Groundwater Management. This program offers financial assistance to well owners who are required by the Nevada State Engineer to connect to a municipal water system. It’s also available to well owners who volunteer to connect.

The grant program covers the following:

  • Offsite costs: The program covers up to 85 percent of the offsite construction costs to extend water service to the occupied property (service line must be within 180 feet of your property).
  • Service connection costs: The program covers 85 percent of applicable connection and upfront fees charged by your new municipal water utility (LVVWD, City of Henderson, City of North Las Vegas).
  • Onsite costs: The program provides a flat $500 stipend to offset costs related to connecting a lateral water line from your residence to the main water line.
  • Well plugging and abandonment: 100 percent of the cost for well plugging and abandonment is covered through the program.

NOTE: Individuals on public assistance may qualify for 100 percent reimbursement for all well conversion costs. Please contact the GMP Program Team for more information.


  • For quasi-municipal or community wells, each home connected to the well must agree to connect to the municipal system.
  • Applicants must pay any past-due Groundwater Management Program fees before grant funding is awarded.
  • Must be connected to a municipal sewer system or be willing to convert from septic to sewer prior to participating in the Well Conversion Program. Get more information.


  1. Apply online.
  2. Once approved, secure bids from at least three class A contractors (must be A-19a licensed) for water line construction/connection.
  3. Submit bids to the GMP Program Team.
  4. Complete construction and pay the contractor the full cost (SNWA will coordinate abandonment and plugging of well at no cost to you).
  5. Contact the GMP Team upon project completion to schedule an inspection.
  6. Receive reimbursement for 85 percent of eligible expenses plus a flat $500 stipend for onsite costs.

Apply/Inquire Now

Ready to connect to the municipal water system? Apply now for the Well Conversion Grant Program. Please note after your application is complete, you will receive an email from staff on the status of your application.

I Want To Convert My Well

Contact us with any questions or to receive a hard copy of the application.

Your well conversion questions answered

If the pump can be replaced with a pump rig, as opposed to a drill rig, you will not be required to connect. If you're within 180 feet of a water line, require a rig to repair your well AND there is financial assistance available, then you will be required to connect to the municipal water supply, assuming your permit is revocable and you use a domestic well or a community well.
The well driller must file a log of work done on the well with the Nevada Division of Water Resources. Well drillers could lose their license if they perform work on a well without submitting the required paperwork.
Offsite costs include all connection charges and fees required to bring a service connection from the existing municipal water line in the street to the meter box at the private property line (the costs include the meter and the box).
Costs can vary widely based upon a number of factors, including the meter size. You may contact the appropriate water purveyor — Las Vegas Valley Water District, Henderson or North Las Vegas — for an estimate.
Yes, this is called a voluntary conversion.
Yes. Under the program, the Southern Nevada Water Authority will pay up to 85 percent of the first 180 feet of offsite costs associated with a voluntary conversion (subject to available funding). Costs to run any additional line beyond 180 feet must be paid fully by the voluntary applicant.
It only takes days to approve an application for connection. However, it takes much longer to complete the actual work, which includes designing the pipelines and other facilities, obtaining all the necessary permits and rights-of-way, constructing the facilities and properly abandoning and plugging the well.
No. You must convert or be willing to convert from septic to public sewer prior to participating in the Well Conversion Program. Get more information on converting to the public sewer system.
Yes, you can still participate in the program. The application process is the same for both North Las Vegas and City of Henderson.